Canadian/US dual citizen - advice needed re: IRS

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mikesmith

Canadian/US dual citizen - advice needed re: IRS

Post by mikesmith »

Hi folks,

I am a Canadian/US dual citizen born and lived my whole life in Canada. I have dual citizenship because both parents are American. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe from reading all the info here that I am required to file with the IRS? I filed once about ten years ago when I was about 20 and have not filed since then.

Would like advice on whether it is prudent to file or whether this will create major problems for me. I have no intent of ever living in US or working there, but I do like visiting. I have been reading the recent articles about the IRS requiring Canadian Financial institutions to report accounts held by US citizens to the IRS and the penalties that can be levied by the IRS and wondering what I should do. Seems like if I do file I will then by on IRS radar which can cause many problems and if I don't file and the IRS does contact me that might be even worse.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I guess the question is why did you file 10 years ago and not continue?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tsanaha

Post by tsanaha »

There are three types of US citizenships.

A. Born in USA
B. Naturalization
C. Born to US citizens

No doubt about the type A and B, they are documented US citizens..

As for type C, if he/she has never registed by his/her parents (through Embassy/Consulate/State Dept) of his/her birth, would he/she be a US citizen by default ?

Constitution allows type A and type C to become US president though..
mikesmith

Post by mikesmith »

Hi Nelsona,

I filed once with the IRS and even obtained a US passport, which I never used because I was thinking about moving to the US for work. I never did end of working or living there. At this point I have no intention of every working or living there and only now realize that in fact the law requires US citizens to file every year.

Would like anyone's take on what I should do.

Best regards,

Mike
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

File past 3 years, or 6 if you happen to owe tax, as described in dozens of posts here.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D