3520, 8861, FBAR reporting question.

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

lvtscds

3520, 8861, FBAR reporting question.

Post by lvtscds »

I haven't seen this scenario addressed, apologies if I missed it in searching.

I am dual US/Cdn citizen working and resident in Canada. My company offers a savings plan which matches 50% of my contribution with company stock.

The plan allows the employee contribution to be split between RSP and after-tax savings with the stock in a deferred profit sharing plan.

The stock doesn't vest for 2 years and is forfeited if leaving before vesting.

I don't have enough RSP room to maximize the company match so I need to use the after tax savings vehicle. The after tax savings vehicle offers investment options in CDN mutual funds and CDN money markets.

The plan administrator tracks all of these accounts under 1 Account number with an RSP, after tax Investment Account and company stock match attached.

How should this be reported?

My guess is:

- I put the single account number on the FBAR with the total value.

- Since there is a non-RSP portion, file 3520 for the total account and 8261's for each of the mutual funds inside the after tax vehicle.

- File 8891s for the RSP portion.

Other than adding the value to the FBAR, does anything need to be filed for the company stock match?

Many thanks to everyone on this forum.