Canadian working 1/2 time in US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

MMondoux

Canadian working 1/2 time in US

Post by MMondoux »

I have an opportunity whereby I would be working as a project manager in the US, that would allow me to working at home in Canada 1/2 of time and the other 1/2 in the US (with expenses paid for) under a TN Visa with a 1099.

My questions are;
1. Is it the 8233 form that I used so that taxes are not withheld in the US, allowing me to only paying taxes in Canada?
2. What is the way best to handle the re-imbursement of expenses while in the US?
3. In Canada, do I have to incorporate or can I just be a sole proprietor?
4. If I get paid in US dollars, what would be the impact?

Thanks in advance.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1. Yes, but only if you are self-employed. If you are employed by the US company, you wil be subject to US tax on work done in US. even if you are self-employed, if you spend more tha 183 days in US in any given 12-month period (not just calendar year), you become taxable in US.
2. Submit expense claims
3. Whther to incorporate is more a question of liability in my opinion. See a Cdn acct for tax consequesnces.
4. Doesn't matter.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
MMondoux

Post by MMondoux »

If you don't mind, since I would coming and going between Canada and the US, do I need a I-94? If I had a Nexus pass, would that make it easier for crossing?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you are on TN, you MUST have an I-94.
You can still qualify for nexus, and it will skip much of line, but you must still apply for I-94 for TN and keep it valid.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
MMondoux

Post by MMondoux »

Thanks so much :D
Herleston

Post by Herleston »

[quote="nelsona"]1. Yes, but only if you are self-employed. If you are employed by the US company, you wil be subject to US tax on work done in US. even if you are self-employed, if you spend more tha 183 days in US in any given 12-month period (not just calendar year), you become taxable in US.
2. Submit expense claims
3. Whther to incorporate is more a question of liability in my opinion. See a Cdn acct for tax consequesnces.
4. Doesn't matter.[/quote]

I have confirmed these facts from officials , so you can trust and take step accordingly.For more details you should consult an immigration attorney.