Canada residency for tax purposes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

bluebean

Canada residency for tax purposes

Post by bluebean »

I just got my green card and would like to move permanently to the USA. I am selling my home but still have the following assets:

- RRSP
- RESP
- Bank Accounts
- Life insurance

I was told as long as you sever all ties (Residence, driver license, OHIP card, credit cards, membership cards, etc ...) and change accounts to be non resident accounts I should be considered as a non resident for Canada taxes purposes. Is this correct?

Once the Tax home is moved to the US do I owe anything because I sold my house to the US?

Thanks for helping me clarify this.

Al
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You do not really have to do anything to become US tax resident other than move and set up life in US. Your OHIP and DL won't be valifd anymore. You can keep all accounts, but should advise bank, etc that you live in US. You may need tomove your RRSP/RESP to a brokerage that will accept US residents.

You will have a departure return to file with Canada.

I'm not sure what "sold my house to the US" means. If you sell your home in canada either before or just after you leave canada, you will not owe any tax in either US or Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bluebean

Post by bluebean »

Thanks for the info. What is a departure return? Last return filed in Canada?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

In the year you leave canada, you file a exit return (Emigrant). CRA has a booklet that describes this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D