Help filing US taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

zaitrancer

Help filing US taxes

Post by zaitrancer »

I need advice on how I need to file my US taxes. After over a decade I've just now learned about my filing requirements in the US.

My situation: I came to Canada over a decade ago on a study permit. I've since become a Canadian citizen. I live and work in Canada on a permanent basis with no intention to return to the US. I was granted tax residency status by Canada retro-active to the day I originally entered Canada. I have no US income, property or assets except a bank account with a $200 balance to keep it open.

In Canada, my employment income has always been less than the US foreign income exclusion. I have regularly filed income tax returns for all Canadian income. I have Canadian bank accounts, 1 non-registered investment and 3 RRSPs with total accounts over $10k USD in total, but not by much. I have two interest bearing savings accounts with virtually nothing in them - the combined interest for 2010 is less than $1.00 USD.

My questions:

1. How many years back shall I file?
2. Are these all the correct forms to fill out?
A. 1040
B. Schedule B
C. Form 2555EZ
D. Form 8891
E. TD F 90.22-1 - couriered today with letter for June 30 deadline
F. Any other forms?
3. Do I report the interest on the savings account? Where?
4. How do I handle RRSPs?
5. Finally, I expect no tax liability for any years I file, but will my delinquency with TDF and tax returns make me likely to be fined or prosecuted?

Thank you
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

All these have been answered on this site. You back file for 3 years, unless you owe taxes (which is rare), then you backfile for 6 years.

What forms you file depends on what income you have, rent cap gains, business income, etc.

any software package can handle this. Turbotax handles 8891.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
zaitrancer

Post by zaitrancer »

Thanks for your reply. I hooked up with a fellow ex-pat who has a much more complex situation than mine, and we were able to figure it all out very quickly. It wasn't nearly as fearsome as I had thought.