Canada TN visa holder working remotely in Canada most of the time

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nzy576

Canada TN visa holder working remotely in Canada most of the time

Post by nzy576 »

I got an offer from US company recently and can sponsor me for TN visa and allow remote work, I'm wondering what tax implication are there if I work in Canada most of the time? and because the CPP and EI are not collected, is there any problem?
nelsona

Re: Canada TN visa holder working remotely in Canada most of the time

Post by nelsona »

They should be paying you as a Cdn resident. You would only need the TN when visiting the US. As you suspect, they need to pay EI/CPP, or pay you asa contractor/corp-to-corp. Some US employers use a Cdn agent to handle this rather than getting involved with payroll.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nzy576

Post by nzy576 »

They don't want to setup the payroll in Canada I think, and only want to sponsor me TN-Visa, how can I handle the EI/CPP in this situation?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You can't. THEY also need to pay EI/CPP as an employer of a Cdn worker.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Suggest they use an agent or pay you as a contractor. You still need a TN. They are separate issues.
nzy576

Post by nzy576 »

what if I commute to US to work and go back to live in Canada, cause I just live close to the border?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

That's fine. Costs you a lot of money, but that works. It's living AND working in Canada that requires Cdn payroll.