Recommendations for NR4/NR6 and agents

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Wewillsee

Recommendations for NR4/NR6 and agents

Post by Wewillsee »

I am looking for recommendations for accounting firms that can prepare NR4/NR6 as well as section 216 returns or . I don’t have a family or friend that would have the expertise to take this on… it may be that they are name sake agents, but the paperwork is handled by a lawyer/cpa and I take the monthly ownership.

My current plan is to do the following:
1) Without an agent, open a non resident account, and remit 25% of gross rents, request a pro forma nr4 and get a fat refund at the end of the year via Section 216. With this route, if the property is vacant, do you have to notify the CRA each month it stays vacant or you continue remitting 25% but tee it up at tax time.

2) Rather than hiring a property manager, I want to look into a CPA/lawyer to see if it is more cost effective to just do the paperwork side of it… this would mean preparing NR4s and NR6s for a designated agent (could be a friend or relative, or the cpa itself).

Any thoughts or recommendations on both options? I am on the west coast, but the property is in Ottawa ON.
nelsona

Re: Recommendations for NR4/NR6 and agents

Post by nelsona »

As you may know NR6's take forever, so you will be having 25% withheld for a while.
Once an NR6 is issued, you will pay the new percentage on any rental income. No income, no withholding. I would not suggest submitting a new NR6 if you lose a tenant for a short period.
The agent can be anyone, so I wouldn't' bother with a CPA just to designate an agent. Pick someone and pay them a small fee for collecting/remitting.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D