New CRA trust reporting requirements

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rafa02

New CRA trust reporting requirements

Post by rafa02 »

I am resident of Canada and have a US bank account and have designated a family member as a "Paid on Death" beneficiary. I understand this is considered a Totten Trust in the US, but I have not seen this characterization in Canada. A few years ago, I spoke with a person at CRA in the Trust section, and was told this arrangement did not require a Trust T3 return. However, there are new trust reporting rules in Canada, beginning with the 2023 tax year, and I am unsure if my US bank account will now require a T3 return. The new requirements may impact real estate agreements and "bare trusts", but apparently CRA has not finalized these new requirements. I am curious if anyone potentially affected by these new reporting requirements has looked into it? As with all these reporting requirements for the IRS and CRA, penalties for not reporting can be horrendous.
Carasad

Re: New CRA trust reporting requirements

Post by Carasad »

I suggest you reach out to a consumer attorney and benefit from consumer attorney services like https://consumerattorneys.com because only legal professionals can explain the process and requirements. Moreover, they have to deal with credit reporting agencies and have a lot of experience with them so only they know the best way to resolve your problem. Moreover, many consumer attorneys don’t require any payments for pieces of advice, so you’re not going to lose anything.
wilkinsonwilfrid

Re: New CRA trust reporting requirements

Post by wilkinsonwilfrid »

The only people who can properly describe the procedure and its prerequisites are licensed attorneyshttps://wordletoday.io/ , so I recommend that you consult with one and take use of consumer attorney services such.