1040NR for UI but not all year

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mel0526

1040NR for UI but not all year

Post by mel0526 »

I was on a TN visa from 2006 to 2008. I moved back to Canada at the end of 2008 after a laid off. I received after that UI from WA state all 2009 and in 2010 until July. Right now, I have a few questions:

1. I began to fill a 1040NR but I will have a refund...and I thought that I will have to pay more like last year. It's why I'm wondering if I need to do a prorata of the tax in the table or something special because I didn't have UI all year?

2. When I will fill my Canada and QC taxes, do I will claim the tax amount I paid last year on the UI minus the amount that will be refunded by IRS?

3. I think I don't need 1116 on 1040NR because the tax credit will be on CND and QC tax reports right?

4. Do I have to fill 8891, TD90-22.1?

Thank you :)
Melanie
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1. No, there is no prorating on the 1040NR. You made less, so you pay less tax.
2. Yes, only your final tax calculated on your 1040NR is eligible for credit.
3. correct. You are not reporting any foreign income on 1040NR
4. No. You are no longer considered a "US person" for the purpose of FBAR, and have no need to elect to defer RRSP income, since it is not reportable on 1040NR.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D