Departure return: prorated tax credits?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

animalchin

Departure return: prorated tax credits?

Post by animalchin »

I recent made my first attempt at filling out my departure T1 by hand, I noticed I made a few errors so was starting over, and took a look into doing it using U-File's software.
When I entered in my information about being an emigrant it talks about prorating my tax deductions if over 90% of my revenue during the period I was a non-resident was from non-Canadian sources, which is the case for me. I had almost no Canadian income after I left Canada.

Does that mean as an emigrant I'm only entitled to a pro-rated tax credit amount? The CRA's emigrant guide makes no mention of this and the T1 forms don't seem to mention it either, and everything I've read so far seems to indicate I just file as though I was a resident the entire year, but shouldn't report non-Canadian income for the period after my departure.
animalchin

Post by animalchin »

Found some other text on the CRA website that seems to support this, does anyone know if there's a specific form/schedule/worksheet to help calculate this?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The pro-rating is correct, and I'm quite sure the emigrant guide mentions this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D