TDF 90.22.1 Amendment Questions

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

otto

TDF 90.22.1 Amendment Questions

Post by otto »

Hi,

I was recently reviewing some old filings and discovered that:

1) I used the July 2000 version of the 90.22.1 for the calendar year 2008 foreign bank accounts. Was I supposed to use the Oct 2008 updated version that year. ? If so, should I file an amended form?

2) I had two foreign accounts listed in my 2006 90.22.1 filing. One was a [u]joint[/u] checking account with my wife that was only open for a few months and then closed. The other account was a bank account that only I owned.

The question at the beginning of the form asks if "the accounts are jointly owned". I checked the box that said "no", since one account was and one wasn't. And the one that was jointly owned had already been closed. It seems based on the form that if I answered either Yes or No I would be in error. Should I amend this? And if so, do I used the new form or the old one?

Thanks.

Otto