former temporary resident in quebec - how to fill quebec ret

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

billbtch

former temporary resident in quebec - how to fill quebec ret

Post by billbtch »

i was temporary resident in Quebec in the first half year of 2010,moved to US in july 2010
i've filled my tax return via turbo tax and indicated that in 31/dec/2010 i wasn't candian resident
so although i completed my deferal return i don't have any option to "provincial summary" it seems that if you were not resident of province at the last day of the tax year they don't give you any option to fill only the screen to register on worls income
Turbo tax doesn't have any phone number which i can connect and i really frustrated
any idea what can i do?
Thanks in advance for the answer
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are filing incorrectly.

In the year you leave canada, you indicate the province of residence on the day you left canada (which is quebec for you) and you put july xx 2010 as your departure date.

You only indicate non-resident when you have been a non-resident all year.

You need to look at the emigrants guide from CRA for other deprture tax issues.

Your QC return will follow the same rules.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

To clarify the Quebec requirement

You will be deemed to be a quebec resident if as an individual you have sojourned in the province for a period of 183 days or more during the year and were ordinarily resident outside Canada, this is identical to the Federal Rules. By you leaving Quebec after 183 days you are a Deemed Resident and must select the Quebec province as your residence since by being a deemed resident ( not a factual resident) you are deemed to be a Quebec Resident for all the year.
JG
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

That is incorrect. Note that he is a government employee, thus is deemed resident status comes from that employment NOT any time spent in the province.

Govt employees are deemd residents even if they spend 0 days in canada or quebec.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

He did not mention anywhere to me that he works for the govt, maybe you are mixing him up with another post.

I know that govt employees and members of the armed forces are deemed residents of Quebec for the entire year as you say, but nowhere in this post did he say he was a govt employee. You should read the post before you say I was incorrect its only fair.
JG
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Sorry, JD, I got that post mixed-up with another, blitzloper and bilbtch

However, your response still does not apply, since he LEFT canada and QC, he is an emigrant, even if he leaves in December.

Deemed residence by virtue of days in canada only applies AFTER having left.

Deemed residence is not an option in this case, unlike the other post.

Cdns who leave canada file a return as if they lived in the province on dec 31 of that year, only wit ha departure date instead,

They don't file as deemed residents, nor even non-residents yet, until possibly thenext year.
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

Thanks for the clarification on how one is deemed to be or not to be a resident or non resident, that was very usefull.
JG
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

When I read several posts at the same time, I sometimes (often) get confused, thanks for catching the error, since it would have left the poster scratching his head, surely.