High Income, Form 2555?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

pleventi

High Income, Form 2555?

Post by pleventi »

Hi,

It seems like Form 2555 isn't worth it if you are a high-income individual. If I understand the worksheet correctly, the excluded income only reduces the first $x dollars of income, not at the marginal rate as I would have expected it would. In the event that you have a lot of foreign tax credits, the reduction in foreign tax credit is greater than the reduction in taxes.

Sound right?

- Paul
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

That is correct. However, you can use foreign tax credits on the income above the limit.

For typical US citizens living in canada, either way, you shoud not have to pay any tax to US on anything but US-sourced interest, dividends, earned income and real estate.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
pleventi

Post by pleventi »

I understand that 2555 only excludes some income, and I can use 1116 against the remainder (with adjustments). However, I've found that using 1116 against the full amount yields lower taxes than doing an exemption + credit.

Just wanted to check that this seems right -- from the way the tax reduction from 2555 is computed, it seems that I don't save at my marginal tax rate (e.g. like a normal deduction), but rather save the taxes on my first x$ of income?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

That is correct. Due to anti-stacking provision, If you exceed the earned income limit (which in a move year is pro-rated, btw), you end up being taxed in US at your gross effective rate on the excess, which indeed may be more than your effective Cdn tax on those wages (although i doubt it, considering your effective taxrate will be quite high, and you get to include CPP and EI premiums).

You will do the calculation at year end and choose.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D