Canadian employee (T4'd) working in the US - tax question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Elgoo

Canadian employee (T4'd) working in the US - tax question

Post by Elgoo »

Hi, I've been trying to figure out if I qualify for CAN-US treaty exemption under XV(2)b. But I seem to be getting conflicting answers from the IRS and CRA; both of which seem to offer advice favoring their own positions of course lol.

Anyways, here are some facts about my situation:
- I am a Canadian citizen/resident and work as an employee of a Canadian management consulting company.
- One of our Canadian clients purchased a US sub and I went down to the US on a TN for 60 days in 2010. The TN was applied for by our counterparts in US; though the US Consulting company is a separate distinct entity from the Canadian consulting company.
- I was paid out of the Canadian office the entire time and was T4'd for the entire year's salary. Note that I was paid more than $10,000 in wages over the 60 days.
- Also, the Canadian consulting company billed the Canadian client for my time while I was down in the US.

Now where I get confused is that I am not sure if I meet the 2nd of the condition of XV(2)b:
".........and the remuneration is not borne by an
employer who is a resident of that other State or by a permanent establishment or a fixed base which the employer has in that other State."

Do I meet this criteria for exemption under XV(2)b? I'm a bit confused because the US counterpart applied for my TN visa though the Canadian company paid my wages.

If I do qualify do I just file the 1040NR and 8833? I am completely looking at this wrong?

Hopefully someone can kindly shed some light on my situation.

Thanks in advance!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You have no US tax liability.
The fact that you got a TN is unimportant. You were in essence working in the field for the Cdn firm. The TN was merely a convenience to aviod border hassles.
Tax liability in US would only kick in after 6 months.

And since no US tax was withheld, there is no need to file anything in US (ie. you don't need to apply for a refund).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Elgoo

Post by Elgoo »

Thanks for the quick and very helpful reply!

By the way, do you think I will run into any issues with the IRS with not filing since in 2009 my company's accountants actually filed a 1040NR for me (and incorrectly it appears)?

I was in the exact same situation in 2009 but they reported that during the 28 days I was there in 2009 had US source income, even though I was on Canadian payroll. They just chose to use the <10,000 section of XV(2)a to avoid taxes.

I am hoping this doesn't raise eye brows with the IRS. I wish my company got someone with more expertise to help with tax filings :(.

Anyways, thanks again!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Nope. 1040NR implies non-residence. No need to continue to show non-residsence.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Elgoo

Post by Elgoo »

Ok thanks for the clarification!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Just one addition.

If your firm is continuously sending different employees down to the US on this project, it *might* be triggering taxation on your income (and everybody else that is going down) regardless of how little you stay.

But this was a feature that came into effect in 2010, so the 2009 filing was unnecessary, and is probably still unnecessary.
Elgoo

Post by Elgoo »

On this particular project, I was the only one sent down on this project. But the firm does frequently send other people to the US on completely separate clients/projects. I suppose this is different?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

yes that is different.