Dual Citizen Born in Canada, moved to US now back in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Laxal47

Dual Citizen Born in Canada, moved to US now back in Canada

Post by Laxal47 »

Hey I have tax questions,

My story is that I was born in Canada then moved to the US with my fmaily at age 13, I am a dual citizen. I have worked and paid taxes in the US up until this past mid april of 2010, and earned us income as a US citizen paying US taxes. Since I have moved back to Canada and began working in Canada for a Canadian engineering firm, paying standard Canadian Taxes.

I have never filed canadian taxes and am not sure what forms to file within Canada and in the US for both my US earned and Canadian earned income for this upcoming year.

I have also began to read a little into the CPP vs the Social Security and if I can change to SS now after starting to pay into the CPP and what i need to file for that.

Thanks Al
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As a US citizen you continue to report your income to IRS -- and you will also report your income to canada as well. For your Cdn 2010 return, you only report yor income from the day you moved to canada. CRA has a "newcomers" guide to help with that.

For IRS, while you will always report all your income, thereare many deductions and credits, available, plus foreign tax ceedits, andforeign earned income exclusion, that will usually result in no extra tax to US on your Cdn income.

As to CPP, you don't have any choice, you live and work as an employee in canada, so are now covered by CPP.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
lanman2000

Post by lanman2000 »

hey laxal47,

i am similar to you in terms of dual citizen, born in canada, lived in US for long time and got US citizenship and now back in canada.... I tried to figure this all out last year and I mostly got it but there were a couple things I didn't "get" that ended up having a very significant impact on how i ended up filing. They only came to light when I visited Mark Serbinski and had him do my taxes. I would soooo highly recommend him. Well worth the extra cost to make sure you get it right. You don't want any nasty surprises.