Stock Option question USC Can Res Commuter to USA work

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

stewak2

Stock Option question USC Can Res Commuter to USA work

Post by stewak2 »

I have options I could exercise that would have a value of about $50k, that is difference between option price and current market value.
Dual citizen, Canadian resident, commuting to work in USA for US company ( whose stock is the one in question ).
My initial research seems to show that in both USA and Canada I will be taxed on the 50K as regular employment income, not as captial gains, and I would be able to use the US tax to offset the Canadian tax payable just as I do for all other regular employment income.

The amount would be similar so there is no particular planning or special considerations involved in executing the options.
Is this correct?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Sounds about right.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D