Canadian mutual funds in RRSP when returning to the US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Henaer

Canadian mutual funds in RRSP when returning to the US

Post by Henaer »

I'm a US Citizen/Canadian permanent resident. I'm unsure if I will be staying in Canada long-term or not, but I would like to organize my finances so that I don't have any problems if I choose to return. I have read (in this forum and elsewhere) that when one emigrates from Canada after being a resident, one needs to sell all Canadian mutual funds. Is this also true if the mutual funds are in an RRSP?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Not in RRSP
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bruce

Post by bruce »

You should also be aware that some mutual funds will refuse to sell to you (even in an RRSP) if you are a non-resident. So you should buy whatever fund you want in your RRSP before you leave. Just understand that if you decide to sell and buy a different mutual fund, that might be a problem (call the mutual fund before making the change to make sure they will allow the purchase).
Henaer

Post by Henaer »

Great, thanks for the quick reply!