Renewing my Driver's License

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Russ

Renewing my Driver's License

Post by Russ »

One thing I can point out - is that with the state things are in these days with US and Homeland Security, little things that weren't difficult in the past are becoming a pain in the *#%%.

I've never had a problem renewing my D/L from out of the state I was a resident (due to lots of travel in US), but recently they wanted 2 years of tax forms, 3 proofs of residence, etc. ... so forget it.

I have the luxury of having 2 other potential state residences and recently had to renew the D/L in Nevada (as it was coming due and that's where I was, had a residence, etc.). Their new rules now make the end date of your D/L to then end of your visa - in my case a TN. Give me a break! This means you have to pay the $40 or so, to get a 1 year D/L. Apparently they don't like 'Arnie' in neighbouring California giving licenses away to any illegal alien and then them coming to Nevada to get a Nevada license.

So, as a long-term answer Nevada is out.

I'll be checking on the state of WA next where I've since set up my official residence. Hopefully, they still give a 5 year D/L to 1 year TNs, or you'll be driving like a madman to get to the DMV every year the minute your new TN is approved!

Just thought I'd rant about 'new' rules in some states!
Russ

Post by Russ »

Sorry Nelson, me too! Wanted this to be a new message under your Car Talk forum but the trick is to 'reply' to your original message, not create a new topic!

Doh!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Geez, is it reaaly that hard to do?

<i>nelsona non grata</i>