Signature Authority for Foreign Bank Account

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

martinleroux

Signature Authority for Foreign Bank Account

Post by martinleroux »

Apologies for a slightly off-topic post, but there may be some members who're in a similar position with respect to a Canadian bank account.

I'm a Canadian citizen and US resident. My Dad, who happens to live in S. Africa, has an interest-bearing bank account in the UK Channel Islands. He would like to give me signature authority/power of attorney over this account (he's worried that he might become incapacitated at some point). My question is, would this create any complications from a US tax point of view? As far as I can tell the only implication is that I would have to include this in my TDF90.22 filings (the balance exceeds USD 10,000). Have I missed anything?

I would not have a financial interest in this account, i.e. I would not be a beneficial owner.
Mark T Serbinski CA CPA
Site Admin

Post by Mark T Serbinski CA CPA »

If you are a signatory only, and do not have a beneficial interest in the account, your only obligation in the U.S. would be to file form TDF 90.22.1 each year.
Mark
walsh

Post by walsh »

My wife has similar situation. We are both Canadian living in US with residence status. Her dad added her name to his account of about $12,000 five years ago. She never touches the account. What she has to do? File back all the FBAR. Does she need to go into the OVDI program?
qweryt

Post by qweryt »

No need to go into the OVDI. Just file TDF 90.22.1 for the last 3 years (as mentioned in other posts on this forum).