Canadian on TN visa working in both Canada & US. Taxes?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Potanza

Canadian on TN visa working in both Canada & US. Taxes?

Post by Potanza »

Hi, I'm a Canadian resident working with an Amarican consulting Company. I have a TN visa and I work in Canada and in the US always coming home for the weekends.

My employer withholds US taxes when i deliver work in the us and withholds canadian taxes when i'm in Canada.

As a Canadian resident can I ask my employer to only withholds taxes to canada no matter where I work? If so, based on which law or form?

If not, I guess i'll have file taxes in both countrues. Will I have to declare my total earnings in Canada because I'm a resident?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The employer is acting corectly.

You will pay US tax on your US income, and will report all world income on your Cdn return, getting credit for the US taxes.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Potanza

Post by Potanza »

Will I need to file an income tax return in the US?
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

Yes in order to get credit in Canada you must prove the tax you paid to the US by filing a 1040NR
JG
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

When I say "You will pay US tax on your US income", that means filing a US return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D