US Physical Presence test must be timed with non-US work?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

kev

US Physical Presence test must be timed with non-US work?

Post by kev »

I am a US citizen. I was a resident of a non-US, non-Canada country during Jan-Aug 2010 and moved to Canada in August 2010.

During Jan-Aug 2010, I received US employment income from a US company where I worked remotely from the third country.

During Sept-Dec 2010, I received Canada employment income while living in Canada. It was an intra-company transfer to the Canada office.

On my US tax return, I would like to file for the foreign income exclusion for the income received from Canada during the Sept-Dec 2010 period.

Which of the following ways is the best way to make the exclusion of the Canada income on my 2010 US tax return?

1) I can file for an extension for my US taxes so that by August 2011, I meet the 330 day requirement for the Physical Presence test.

2) I've calculated that I can already claim accurately that from June 2009 until June 2010, I met the 330 day requirement for the Physical Presence test. However, as stated above, this period does not correspond to the Sept-Dec 2010 period when I received the foreign income I wish to exclude. (Hence the title of this post.) Does this matter?

3) I can try to meet the requirements of the Bonafide Residence test, but the conditions are thus: I was a bonafide resident of the non-US, non-Canada country Jan-Aug 2010 while receiving income in the US, and I was (am) a resident of Canada Sept-Dec 2010 while receiving income in Canada. Would I meet the 12 month residency requirement for the Bonafide Residence test for the Sept-Dec 2010 period?

Thank you!
Kevin
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You should be claiming the exclusion on ALL your foreign wages, including that from the first part of year.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are a US citizen, thus it is not required that you meet bona fide test.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
kev

Post by kev »

Hi Nelsona, thanks for your replies. Not sure if my post was clear enough.

The Jan-Aug 2010 income was US income, so not excludable from my US tax return, right?

What I want to do is exclude my Canada income Sept-Dec 2010 when I file my US tax return.

As a US citizen, I have to qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion by Bonafide Residence test or Physical Presence test, right?

I see three possible ways to do this in my case, none ideal, and wondered which is the recommended way (see original post).

Thanks very much!
Kevin
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No, your wages while out of US are considered foreign wages.

You are overthinking this.